Environmental and energy research websites
The environment category of Journalist’s Resource includes scholarly material on a wide variety of subjects that touch on the physical world, including climate change, energy, sustainability, transportation and land use. The studies included are selected for their timeliness, authority and public-policy importance.
Many more such studies can be found in databases such as PLos ONE, SSRN or Google Scholar. When searching, try to find studies that are published in research-oriented journals, that come from universities or non-partisan research organizations, and that cite other studies published in journals.
Here are some other places to look for more information in this area:
- Science.gov: Links to authoritative scientific documents, reports and position papers from a variety of U.S. Federal agencies.
- Gateway to Free Digital and Paper Publications: Access to more than 33,000 full-text documents and research reports from the EPA.
- Envirofacts: Access to EPA environmental data including data available for downloading in a variety of formats.
- National Council for Science and the Environment: Congressional Research Service Reports: Full-text reports prepared for Congress by the research branch of the Library on topics like climate change, natural resources, and pollution.
- Congressional Research Service Reports: Energy: Full-text reports prepared for Congress by the research branch of the Library of Congress as provided by the National Council for Science and the Environment.
- Annual Energy Outlook: EIA energy projections and discussions of legislative and regulative issues.
- Energy and Utilities Data (U.S. Census Bureau): Provides data on fuel resources, energy production and consumption, electric and solar energy, hydroelectric power, nuclear power, and the electric and gas utility industries.
- Energy Information Administration (U.S. Dept. of Energy): The EIA provides current and historical energy data, forecasts and analyses. Includes the Monthly and Annual Energy Review.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) Data: Source for dynamic maps and GIS data of renewable energy resources.
- NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies: Leading research center on issues of global climate change.
- Global Environment Outlook: A comprehensive and authoritative U.N. report on environment, development and human well-being, providing incisive analysis and information for decision making.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: U.N. body that issues consensus-driven reports on climate change.
- The Ecologist: Full-text articles about environmental affairs going back to 1970.
- Environment News Service: Daily independent international newswire covering environment issues such as renewable energy.
- Earth Portal: This site consists of three components: The Encyclopedia of Earth, the Earth Forum (commentary), and Earth news (news stories on environmental issues).
- EarthTrends: Searchable databases and data tables by topic from the World Resources Institute.
Site list courtesy of the Harvard Kennedy School Library.
We welcome feedback. Please contact us here.